April 21, 2010

Nasty ornamental grass

View is nice, but grass is nasty. It grows without asking permission! It overtakes everything. It's name is... I just have checked.... some kind of Phalaris arundinacea (reed canary grass)... cultivar I think.

Whatever it's name is, 2 years ago it was removed from this patch completely and see - it's back! I am kinda tired of watchig it over - it ate my echinacea, rudbeckia and - almost - perovskia too. I checked it yesterday - can't see any sign of echinacea and rudbeckia! Poor perovskia dug out yesterday, found cosy place in the pot.
Nasty grass will be gone this year finally - I will start cleaning on weekend.
///
This view on the picture is surprisingly unique - usually I see the same patch from the other side and usually those tulips are  much earlier than this year, so grass is much smaller and proportions used to be different. I will make my raised bed here as soon as tulips fade. It is sunny and very warm place, perfect for my leggy tomatoe seedlings :) 
///
This grass is my second grass mistake.

2 comments:

Darla said...

The grass photographs well...:)

Gail said...

I have invasives that I fight all the time...It sure gets frustrating! Good luck, gail

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS